Saturday, August 7, 2010

Moira's Birth Story

On Tuesday morning May 11th I woke up with menstrual like cramps that were really irregular and not close together.  I went into work and closed up as much as I could.  I handed off all of my projects and turned in all my expense reports.  My HR director sent me home early so to beat traffic home.
 
Since the cramps were so irregular and they felt more annoying than painful I decided to keep my Wednesday morning doctors appointment where we were going to set my induction date for the next week (I was 38w3d) instead of going to the hospital that night.

I slept in a bit on Wednesday and went to the doctor at 11 am.  While there I had a cluster of contractions and my baby's heart rate dropped a little so they did an NST before my exam and as always, she passed.  However, the doctor was shocked to find that I was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced.  She sent me to the hospital.  I went home, walked our dogs, fed our cats, picked up our labor bags and then picked up my husband at his office.

Got admitted to the hospital and in a room at 1:30 pm.  The nurse was frustrated because my irregular contractions were not being picked up by the monitor until around 6pm when the doctor checked me again.  Nurse was asking me to be prepared to go home since she didn't think with such random contractions I had progressed and I wasn't in obvious pain.  Well I was at 6cm so I was staying.  The doctor broke my water and started some pitocin to get my contractions closer together.

I decided once the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart that although they were annoying that they were probably going to get more painful so I got an epidural at that point.  My SIL who was staying with me because my musician husband had left to play a gig that he couldn't cancel fainted at the sight of the epi and I was still fine.

So my husband gets back at 10pm and I am at 8cm and feeling fine.  By 11:30 I was 10cm and it was time to push.  I started pushing at 11:55 and pushed for 5 minutes.  The doctor stopped me because my baby's heart rate dropped very fast with each push and contraction.  She decided I needed a C-section for the baby's safety.  Within 15 minutes I was prepped and in the OR.  My daughter was born at 12:36am.

Her shoulder had somehow gotten into the birth canal along with her head so every time I pushed it put pressure on her neck, dropping her heart rate.  The neonatologist thought it would have been very difficult to deliver her in that position so the c-section was the right call.

Moira Paz Josephine.  6lbs 6oz and 19inches long.  Her apgars were 9 and 9 and she is beautiful.  Although we didn't get to have a vaginal birth I did get what I wanted in that I avoided an induction and Moira showed up in her own time.

And here are some pics for you:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2063270&id=1143291313&l=a7d25fb9d2

No comments: